In general, there is not much you need to do to prepare. Here are a few things that may help…
Refresh Yourself on the KonMari Method®. You might take a look in the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up or watch Tidying Up with Marie Kondo or Sparking Joy with Marie Kondo on Netflix.
Consider Your “Why.” Why do you want to tidy your home? Craft Your Tidy Vision here. We will go deeper into your vision when I arrive for your Initial Session.
Gather Supplies. Please have plastic garbage bags or empty cardboard boxes to contain your discards when we tidy. It is sometimes helpful to have some small boxes that spark joy on hand for storing items. Additionally, please have handy a broom, vacuum, and cleaning supplies so we can make sure to clean and refresh your space when we tidy it.
Prepare Your Space.
- Please do laundry before your clothing session so everything is clean. Matching hangers spark joy for most clients. If you do not have these already, consider purchasing some before your session.
- If we will be reviewing papers, please check with your attorney or CPA for recommendations regarding discarding legal, financial, and accounting documents. I will provide you with general guidelines, but only your personal advisors can provide direct guidance based on your specific situation.
What to Expect During Your First Session.
- When I arrive, we will sit down together and discuss your vision for your home and life.
- Next, we greet the home. During the Home Greeting, you will take a moment of gratitude for the home and how it supports you.
- Then, I’ll ask for a quick tour of your home.
- Then, we’ll get tidying! We’ll gather YOUR belongings, focusing on one category at a time (the order of the categories is typically clothing > books > paper > komono > sentimental). We will sort manageable sub-categories so you can choose the items that bring you joy.
- Once you have selected the items that spark joy, we will store them efficiently and beautifully. Keep in mind that storage may be temporary until tidying is complete.
- If the session occurs during the lunch-hour, expect a quick break to have a snack. I will bring my own food. Make sure you have something for yourself. Feeding your brain while tidying is a great idea!
Begin with the End in Mind. If you plan to complete a Tidying Festival as many of my clients do, here is what you can look forward to: A “Closing Ceremony” designed especially for you. During this celebration, we will walk through your home together inspecting each closet, cabinet, drawer, shelf, and room to ensure they all spark joy for you. I will review your Ideal Lifestyle with you, preparing you to live your best life in your beautiful space. We will celebrate your achievement, cleanse your space, and conclude as we began… with gratitude, as gratitude lays the foundation for joy. I can’t wait to celebrate with you! See you soon!